Zipp Printing text weight and cover weightSo, what’s the difference between text weight and cover weight when we talk about paper? Hopefully this quick explanation will help you understand the difference and help you when you’re placing your next print order with us.¬†We could get really deep into the weeds with the weights of paper, why we even measure paper in weight, and how it all works together, but we’ll spare you the history lesson and just talk about what matters to you and your next printing order.

So, here’s down-low (people still say that, right?)

There are basically two categories of paper weights. Text (or book) and Cover. If you take a step back and look at the words we’re using, it all makes sense. Text and Cover. Text (book) weight refers to the weight of paper that’s used on the interior of a book. Cover weight refers to the thickness and weight of paper that would be used as the cover of a book. Now, don’t go grab a hard cover book and expect most paper to be that thick. Think more of a paperback book. Text weight is lighter and better for large bodies of text or collections of paper, kind of like a book. Cover is what we use for business cards, rack cards, and the like.

This is why you can find us asking if you’d like to use text or cover weight for your flyers and other items. You’ll also notice that you can have a 80# or 100# (or many other weights) of either. These weights offer options for different uses of paper from business cards, brochures, flyers, letterhead, and more.

So when you’re prepping to place an order with Zipp, and you have a decision on text (book) or cover weight, now you’ll know the difference. If you have any more questions, we’re happy to answer!